Eng255

November 12th, 2010

The Waste Land–part one

Posted by jeannem in Uncategorized

Ok, so this poem is really hard to understand at first glance.  I spent a while reading and rereading like to try and make sense of it myself and I kind of got it, but not really.  There is so much going on in this poem and I can’t tell if its all supposed to be connected or leads to the same conclusion, or even if it had a million different messages.

What I do like about this poem is the deep language and the crazy imagery.  “…I could not/Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither/Living nor dead, and I knew nothing/Looking into the heart of light, the silence.”  I mean, even if you didn’t know what that meant, how awesome does it sound?  All the language flows really nicely, almost lyrical.

Also the imagery in this poem is really great.  “The chair she sat in, like a burnished throne,/Glowed on the marble, where the glass,/Held up by the standards wrought with fruited vines,/From which a golden Cupidon peeped out/(Another hid his eyes behind his wing)/Doubled the flames of sevenbranched candelabra/Reflecting light upon the table as/The glutter of her jewels rose to meet it,…” Ok, so this quote goes on and on in the second part (Game of chess), but the point is, that coupled along with the lyrical language, the imagery in this poem really made everything pop for me.  I think thats important in poetry.

What I really don’t get is the random words and sounds such as, “Twit twit twit/ Jug jug jug jug jug/ So rudely forc’d./Tereu”  I mean really, what the heck is that about?  Is it some kind of after thought, a song or even some kind of sound perhaps?

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet